History

<p><img src="http://thbgc.org/admin/page_maintenance.php?id=33" alt="">The founder of the Boys Club was the late Flora Gilman Gulick, who worked in the money order department at the post office. She became interested in boys in Terre Haute and founded the Boys Club in January 1908, at the Social Settlement House, formerly the Bauermeister Building at First and Cherry Street. They soon outgrew the four rooms and moved next door into eight rooms. In August, Mrs. Gulick solicited 50 merchants who gave a dollar a month for the Clubs operation. IN 1909, the club moved into new quarters at 611 1/2 Ohio St. in the Mayhew Building located next to the Star Building.<br>         <br>         In 1911, the newly elected President, L.J. Cox, and the Director, thinking that his work at the Club was worthwhile, decided to move into larger quarters at the Mc Gregor Mansion, 414 North 6th St.<br>         <br>         By spring of 1913, many boys had enrolled as members. The Clubs expenses at the time were high, a yearly budget of $3,800 and seemed impossible to meet. The Directors were faced with the possibility of closing the doors but instead moved in to smaller and less expensive quarters, the former Empire Theater and burlesque house at 30 1/2 South Third St. In 1922, the Boys Club moved to the present site at 220 North Third St. occupying a building formerly housing the Ball Funeral Home.<br>         <br>         In 1913, Lex Grant Nichols, at the age of sixteen, was named Assistant Superintendent of the Boys Club. He remained in the capacity of Assistant Superintendent until Nichols stayed as superintendent until 1928, at which time he stepped down as superintendent and assumed the duties as Shop Director. he was Shop Director for the next 44 years and retired in 1972.<br>         <br>         In 1922, when the Club moved to 220 North Third St., the facilities were purchased with the help of the Lions Club.<br>         <br>         In 1928, the Board of Directors appointed Theodore K. Moore as Superintendent. Moore remained in that capacity until 1937. Moore took a job as Physical Director with the Boys Club of Waterbury, Connecticut- Mrs. Gulick stepped back in to run the Club. Mrs. Gulick became very ill, Moore was called back to trun the Club and in 1939 was appointed Executive Director of the Terre haute Boys Club.<br>         <br>         In 1940 Chapman J. Root added to the property by financing a gymnasium measuring 70' X 40'.<br>         <br>         During Ted Moore's devotion to the Boys Club movement, the Club became owners of one of the most modern summer camps in the state, 152 acres in Parke County at R.R # 1, Marshall, Indiana.<br>         <br>         In August 1950, the Boys Club Board of Directors accepted the bid of $ 154,000 for the construction of a new wing. the new building was dedicated on July 27, 1951.<br>         <br>         In 1971, Ted Moore retired as Executive Director after 39 years of service t the Boys Club.<br>         <br>         Max E. Jones was appointed Executive Director in 1971. Under Max's guidance, the Club experienced growth in memberships and in the respect of the community. Max started the Biddy Basketball Program in 1969, and the program became the largest and most respected in the state of Indiana.<br>         <br>         In 1983, the computer room was constructed to offer computer classes for Club members. The program enjoys a full compliment of students each session.<br>         <br>         In 1984, Max Jones received the "Terre Award" in recognition of being an outstanding community leader.<br>         <br>         Max Jones passed away suddenly in September 1984. The Board of Directors began a search for an Executive Director and named Ron Wey to that position in January 1985. Mr. Wey resigned his position in April 1987.<br>         <br>         Nineteen hundred eighty-five was a year of revitalization for the Club. Thanks to the generosity of the Chapman Root and Hulman families, the Club underwent an extensive renovation at the cost of $370,000. A new boiler was installed, air conditioning added, wiring updated, a new gym floor and bleachers installed, thermopane windows added and general updating of all areas too place. This work made the Club a much brighter and more pleasant place to visit.<br>         <br>         In the spring of 1986, the Boys Club was forced to sell Camp Gulick property due to the decrease in attendance and the increased regulation from the State Board of Health.<br>         <br>         Steve Heck, program Director under Wey for two years and Club employee for the past six years, was named Executive Director effective May 1987.<br>         <br>         In December 1989, The Board of Directors unanimously voted to add a new gymnasium, create a second entrance from the basement and move the Clubs entrance from Third Street. The new facility was constructed at the cost of $ 776,000 and opened in April, 1991 to Boys Club Members.<br>         <br>         In march 1992, Executive Director Steve Heck received the Paul Lemmon Award as the Outstanding Director in the State of Indiana.<br>         <br>         This expansion has provided the much needed program space for the Club's over 1900 members, and has created a safer entry way in to the Boys Club. Our goal is to provide wholesome recreational and educational activities for the youth of the Wabash Valley and to provide the "The Positive Place for Kids".<br>         <br>         In 1992, the Boys Club received a donation from the Robert Clark Estate. These funds were deposited into a Boys Club Trust Account to be used at a later date.<br>         <br>         Jimmy Smith, Indiana State University basketball player from 1975-1978 and Terre Haute Police Detective for 17 years, was named Executive Director effective June 1998.<br>         <br>         In February 1998, "Boys Club Park" formerly known as Valle Field located at 3210 8th Avenue was given to the Club. The value of the Park--$250,000. A Valle Field Committee was formed from members of our Board of Directors. $50,000 of Boys Club funds were allocated for improvements. The property closing took place in December 1998 at a cost of $21,476.30 for a light loan pay off and $796.00 in closing costs.<br>         <br>         In November 1998, a new Program Director position was created at the Club-Valle Field Program Director. An office was added at the back of the Learning Center. Boys Club Baseball Program begins April 1999.<br>         <br>         In April, 1999, the Terre Haute Boys Club receives a donation from the estate of Thomas T. McCoy, Sr.. This money is restricted to capital expenditures and as restrictive as bricks and mortar.<br>         <br>         A Lifetime Board Member category was added at the Terre Haute Boys Club in May, 1999. This amendment to the by-laws named Thomas T. McCoy, Jr. the first lifetime member. Donation was appropriated to refurbish the orange gym. Improvements included the floor, new padding around the walls, new ceiling, new divider curtain, and new backboards. The gym was renamed the Pacer Gym since the colors were changed to blue/yellow.<br>         <br>         In June, 1999, the John Gilmore Scholarship Fund was formed. The recipient must be a graduating senior and a Boys Club member. This $ 500.00 scholarship will be awarded annually.<br>         <br>         The Boys Club received a donation from the Gwendolyn Werning Estate and the money was deposited into the Current Trust Account.<br>         <br>         In August, 1999, the Board appropriated $235,780.00 for the Ball Park renovations. This included new lights on “A” diamond, sprinkler system, new entrance and sign, new fence, four new dugouts, shale for all three fields, bleacher upgrade, and many small improvements.<br>         <br>         In September, 1999, Max Gibson, Tony George, Chris Root, and Don Smith became Lifetime Board Members and a dinner was held in November, 1999 at Louise’s Restaurant to honor these new members.<br>         <br>         In November 1999, the Boys Club received A donation from the Dora Walker Estate.<br>         <br>         In December, 1999, a motion was made to become the Terre Haute Boys &amp; Girls Club beginning September 5, 2000.<br>         <br>         March, 2000, the Boys Club received anther donation from Thomas T. McCoy Estate. In April the number of Board members was increased to 42. This was voted on and passed.<br>         <br>         The Boys Club purchased the Drake Produce building located directly West of the facility for $400,000.00. This property is 2.0 acres and was purchased to solve the parking problem.<br>         <br>         In June, 2000, the Boys Club received a final installment of the donation from the Thomas T. McCoy Estate. In July the Articles of Incorporation of the Terre Haute Boys Club, Inc. were legally changed to Terre Haute Boys &amp; Girls Club, Inc. This was passed by the Board to become effective September 5, 2000. September, new restrooms are completed at the front of the building to accommodate the addition of girls to the club. October, board member Henry Ozok donates a shelter to the Terre Haute Boys and Girls Club Park.<br>         <br>         January 2001, The Terre Haute Boys and Girls Club was the recipient of a donation from the Edward &amp; Gertrude Everett Trust. In February, the Terre Haute Boys &amp; Girls Club received a donation from the Ruth Chapman Estate. In December, a new concession stand is added to the front of the building making it more accessible to both gymnasiums.<br>         <br>         July 2002, the Terre Haute Boys and Girls Club receives an additional donation from the Edward &amp; Gertrude Everett Trust.<br>         <br>         February 2004, the ceiling in the Learning Center collapses and the Learning Center gets remodeled at a cost of $8,255.23. This cost included ceiling re-enforcement in other parts of the building and curtain repairs in the Pacer Gym.<br>         <br>         March 2004, a new personnel manual is approved by the board and June 2004, revised by-laws were passed.<br>         <br>         October 2004, the Boys &amp; Girls Club votes to add football fields to our park. Vigo County Youth Football will have a place to call home. The official grand opening was October 9, 2005 at a total cost of $358,127.39.<br>         <br>         May 2005, a grant from Community Engagement and help from Swope Art Museum will allow artist Jeff Zimmerman to paint a mural on the south side of the Terre Haute Boys &amp; Girls Club building. The work on the mural began in April 2006.<br>         <br>         December 2005, two donations totaling $115,000 were made to be used for maintenance and improvements of the football fields. QIWI</p>


Our Sponsors

Academy of Sports